Thunderstorms leave many in the dark for several hours

Thunderstorms leave many in the dark for several hours

The Guthrie area was hit with nearly four inches of rain and high winds after thunderstorms came rolling through the area on Thursday evening. The storm caused many residents to go without power for several hours.


Just after 7: 30 p.m., the rain and wind began making its way through Logan County. Just after 8:30 p.m. emergency crews were dispatched for down power lines and trees, flooding and blocked road ways. Related article: Thunderstorms cause trees and power lines to come down

The aftermath kept Guthrie police, firefighters and street crews busy for several hours.

The biggest impact with power outages was due to power lines being snapped on Pine St. near Industrial Road. Power lines were also seen on the ground near the 1400 block of E. Cleveland.

OG&E reported up to 1,203 customers were without power. While the power was quickly restored for some, majority of those affected did not see electricity until 5 a.m.

The heavy rains was too much for the bridge at Heather Road, which is just off of Noble Ave. near I-35, as water was seen going over the bridge.

The rains also washed out a portion of the bridge over Bird Creek on Pine St. For the last week, city crews repaired a sewer line under the bridge and had just opened the road back open, but the water washed away the temporary gravel leaving nearly a foot gap along the entire roadway.

The road was back open just after 11 p.m.

Division St. was blacked out for several hours causing businesses to close down early.

Several residents shared on social media of swing sets, trampolines and patio furniture blown away by the winds and in some cases simply disappearing.

According to the Mesonet, Guthrie officially received 3.07 inches of rain. However, several rain gauges near the airport and east of town had reports of four inches of rain.

There were no reports of any injuries, or fires.

Leave a Reply