A house was destroyed by fire on Tuesday evening on Guthrie’s east side. Fire officials say the cause of the home may have come from a space heater.The Guthrie Fire Department was dispatched to a fully-involved house fire at 414 S. Elm at 7:30 p.m. and remained on the scene until 10:30 p.m.
Flames and smoke could be seen coming from the home miles away. Fire officials called for back up from Oak Cliff, Coyle and Sooner fire departments. The American Red Cross was also called to the scene.
Fire Chief Eric Harlow says the home was vacant at the time of the fire.
Harlow says a space heater was found near the source of the fire, but that the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Firefighters battled the blaze with temperatures in the lower 20’s with a wind chill of 11 degrees. The Streets Crew with the City of Guthrie was called out to sand the nearby streets and intersections after becoming frozen over.