Abandoned for nearly four decades, a construction company has announced their plans to begin renovation of a 1920’s building for a senior living center on Guthrie’s west side.
Hixon Construction Company, based out of Oklahoma City, is working with the developer Benedictine Senior Housing GP, LLC, Belmont Development and Blackledge Associates Architects on the building formerly known as the Logan Memorial County Hospital.
The building will be converted into a senior living center and named The Villas of Benedictine. The name comes from one of the former owners, The Sisters of Saint Benedict.
The facility will contain a total of 53 units and be marketed to seniors aged 62 and older. There is currently a five-story hospital building and a one-story physical plant accessory building on the property.
The five-story hospital building will be converted into an apartment building containing 37 one- and two-bedroom apartment homes, a leasing office, multiple lounge areas, a computer lab, library, two shared laundry facilities, a craft room and a community room.
The existing physical plant accessory building will be rehabilitated and converted into a maintenance storage area. New construction will consist of a stand-alone FEMA-rated storm shelter, two four-plex apartment buildings and one eight-plex apartment building. All units in the three new construction buildings will be two-bedroom apartment homes with an exterior storage units for each home.
Construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018.
The building was first constructed in 1925 and in 1974 was renamed Logan County Memorial Hospital. A replacement facility (Mercy Logan County Hospital), was built in 1978.