Homeless person squatting in shed suffers burns

Homeless person squatting in shed suffers burns

A homeless man, who was squatting in a shed, suffered burns on Saturday morning after the shed caught fire.


The Guthrie Fire Department and Guthrie Police Department responded to the 1300 block of E. Springer just before 5 a.m. after the homeless man alerted a nearby resident of the fire.

Smoke and flames could be seen as emergency crews arrived.

According to a neighbor and fire officials, a homeless man was squatting behind an abandoned house.

The fire destroyed the shed and was able spread to a fence and an utility pole. Luckily, firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the immediate area.

“The fire was spreading rapidly and could have taken the lives of this homeless man,” a neighbor said while adding that her family and pets were also in danger.

The fire appears to have been started by a candle.

The man suffered second and third degree burns to his hands. He was transported immediately by Guthrie EMS to Baptist Hospital in Oklahoma City.

Now the neighbor and several others are looking to form a group to see what can be done to help the homeless in the community.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.