Video: Space heater destroys home; Chief offers safety tips

Video: Space heater destroys home; Chief offers safety tips

A person is without a home following a Monday morning house fire.


The Woodcrest Fire Department responded to a home in Andy Acres, which is located just off of Pine Street and to the south of Seward Road.

Fire Chief Luke Young says the single-wide mobile home was nearly fully-involved with fire on arrival.

The home was occupied at the time of the fire, but luckily one adult male was able to escape unharmed.

The chief says the property owner stated a space heater was placed next to his bed was the cause of the fire.

The American Red Cross was notified and will be assisting the owner.

Oak Cliff Fire and Sooner Fire responded mutual aid for water supply and additional man-power while the Logan County Sheriff’s Office provided traffic control.

Young reminds citizens that if space heaters are needed to use extreme caution.

“If a space heater is to be used as a primary heating source for a residence, we encourage people to use extreme caution and awareness. They need to be kept at a distance from any combustible materials such as newspapers, magazines, clothing, furniture, blankets and bedding. It should also be operated on a level hard surface”

Young continued, “Also please check your smoke detectors and be sure they’re are in good working order. If you do not have a working smoke detector, contact your local fire department for assistance.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.