Two of four suspects make plea deals in 2017 homicide

Bracey Jashawn Perry (pictured) pleaded guilty to first degree murder in the death of Joey Angelo.

Two of four suspects make plea deals in 2017 homicide

Two of the of four suspects have made plea deals following a 2017 murder that left the victim dead with 36 gunshot wounds.


Earlier this month, Bracey Jashawn Perry pleaded guilty to first degree murder in the death of Joey Angelo, who was killed in the early morning hours on April 5, 2017 at a residence in the 300 block of S. Oak.

As part of the plea deal, Perry was sentenced to serve a life term with that time to be suspended except for 20 years. In addition, Perry must pay fines and fees.

In August 2018, Frederic Lavelle Veasley Jr. pleaded guilty to an amended charge of accessory to a felony that being a murder in the first degree.

Veasley was sentenced to serve a term of 12 years in prison and to pay fees and fines.

The two other suspects, cousins Derrick Eugene Smith and Reggie Dewayne Smith, are expected to be back in the Logan County courtroom on April 5 for a pre-trial hearing.

A May trial has been scheduled.

Related articleMan shot and killed on Guthrie’s east side 
Related articleArrest made in Guthrie homicide; another suspect on the run 
Related articleMurder victim identified; mother reaches out for help
Related articleMore details revealed in murder case that left man shot 36 times 
Related articleReport: Girlfriend of murder suspect arrested; accused of helping boyfriend escape

In a February 2018 preliminary hearing, Reagan Armstrong testified she was in her Oklahoma City apartment along with Derrick Smith, Perry and Veasley when they received a call from Reggie about being shot at.

The four then traveled to Guthrie in Armstrong’s vehicle, drove to Reggie’s house and picked him up.

She says Derrick drove the vehicle and Reggie gave directions to the house at 312 S. Oak. Once they arrived, she says Derrick, Reggie and Perry got out of the vehicle and that Veasley moved to the front passenger seat and she moved to the driver’s seat.

After hearing gun shots, Armstrong stated Derrick was the first to get back into the car followed by Reggie and Perry.

Once in the car, Armstrong told investigators Derrick said they had set a record for how many times a guy got shot. She added, Reggie said he punched Angelo and told Derrick “let it rain.”

Armstrong was arrested two weeks after the shooting for aiding her boyfriend (Derrick) to hide by traveling to Texas and Arkansas.

During the preliminary hearing, defense attorneys became aware of a plea deal that had been signed between the district attorney’s office and Armstrong.

Reggie Dewayne Smith
Derrick Eugene Smith

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.