Dr. Mike Simpson has been behind the scenes for the Guthrie school district the past few months, but Monday evening he was front and center.
Simpson conducted his first Board of Education meeting as superintendent. He was named to the position in late March, but has been involved in the day-to-day activity. Related story: Video: Mike Simpson introduced as Guthrie Superintendent
School board President Jody Walker welcomed Simpson to the position and told Simpson he looked forward to the future.
“It’s a little warmer up here than it is down there,” a laughing Simpson said, who officially took over on July 1.
After a 68-minute executive session, the board returned and hired Carmen Walters as the new Executive Director of Federal Programs and Elementary. Walters replaces Penny Gooch, who accepted a similar position in the Edmond school district.
Walters was previously the Trout Elementary principal in Ponca City.
Along with Walters, a trio of winter sport coaches were officially hired at the meeting.
Pete Papahronis was named to the girls basketball coach, Tim Flanigan as the boys basketball coach and Justin Stevens was named the wrestling coach. Both Papahronis and Flanigan will earn an extra-duty compensation of $5,850.00 and Stevens $5,500.00.
In other agenda items:
– approved the renewal agreement with Frontline Placement Technologies for AESOP services for 2012-2013.
– approved renewal agreement with Netchemia for School Recruiter services for 2012-2013.
– approved the renewal of lease-purchase agreement dated September 14, 2009 with BancFirst of Guthrie for district copiers for 2012-2013.
– approved renewal of lease-purchase agreement dated December 14, 2009 with Farmers & Merchants Bank of Guthrie for 7 school buses for 2012-2013.
– approved renewal of lease-purchase agreement dated April 11, 2011 with Farmers & Merchants Bank of Guthrie for Modular Classroom Building located at Guthrie Jr. High School for 2012-2013.
– approved loan agreements for 2012-2013 with Child Nutrition Fund and School Age Care Fund.
– approved an agreement with Logan County Health Department for nursing services for 2012-2013.
– approved an action upon Activity Fund Handbook for 2012-2013.
– approved upon contract with Precision Testing Laboratories, Inc. for 3-year AHERA Inspection.
– approved proposed revisions to district policies Production of Public Records Policy and Open Records Act (Regulation).
– approved upon contract with Dynamic Measurement Group for professional development services on September 4, 2012 for teachers and staff in grades Pre-K through 3.
– approved transportation request from Camp JOY for July 20 and July 26, 2012.
– approved to amend the selection of the leader evaluation model for 2012-2013.
– approved on amendment of the selection of the leader evaluation model as the exclusive evaluation process for leaders for 2012-2013.