Bridge replacement on Charter Oak road progressing well

Bookmark and Share

Now that Broadway Bridge is open, focus has shifted to another major bridge improvement in District 1.

Mark SharptonReplacement of a 50′ structurally deficient, one-lane wooden bridge on Charter Oak Rd. just west of Santa Fe is underway. Work began Jan. 28. The old bridge was dismantled and construction of the new 103′ structure begun.

On Thursday, March 14, the ODOT inspector for this project indicated construction workers had just poured the back wall and wings of the last abutment. This means all substructure work is now complete. Next week, weather permitting, beams will be placed and steel work begun. After that the deck will be poured. Though there were days in February when work stopped due to inclement weather, the project is proceeding well. The schedule provided by the contractor indicates this is a
three-month project extending through April, but weather is always a factor that may alter the completion date.

In November of 2012, ODOT awarded a $634,981.60 bid for this project to Reece Construction Company. District 1 obtained 80% in funding through the federal Surface Transportation Program administered by the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG). The remaining 20%
was provided through the County Improvements for Roads and Bridges Program (CIRB). This program was enacted by the state legislature several years ago to help counties fund major road and bridge improvements.

It is good to see the tangible beginning of a bridge which will be constructed in a way that should eliminate some of the flooding issues of the past. A photo of work underway is posted online at


2 Comments on "Bridge replacement on Charter Oak road progressing well"

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for
    your next post thanks once again.

  2. I quite like reading an article that can make people think.
    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.